By Tori St. Clair / LifeAtStart.com Reporter
Last night, I sat with my notes open on my phone for an hour trying to think of an article topic. When I had almost given up for the night, I got the idea. Write an article about not knowing what to write about.
It’s perfect for me because I never know what to write about.
Writers block is the condition of not being able to think of what to write about. This is what I suffer from every Sunday night when I know there is an article due Monday, but waited too long to start it.
Why do people get writers block? Three common reasons are:
1. Bad timing. When it’s just not the right time to write. You may need to brainstorm a little longer before you actually start writing.
2. Being a perfectionist. You want everything to be perfect in your head as you’re thinking about it before you actually write anything down, but that never happens so you never actually write.
3. Fear. Many people are afraid of putting their ideas out for everyone to see and criticize.
What are some things we can do to get rid of writers block?
1. Fill up on caffeine. Sometimes you just need something to keep you going and caffeine is always good.
2. Write at a different place. A proven cure for writers block is to leave your desk. You could go to a park to think.
3. Reread other things you have written. If you start getting annoyed because you just can’t write at the moment, reading your past articles may help inspire you with new ideas.
Contact me at email@example.com
Posts by this author: